I’ve got this really great friend. In the past year or so, I’ve watched her completely dive in to a healthy lifestyle for her and her family. She’s a busy super mom who runs an in-home daycare and yet she’s managed to build a healthy lifestyle through working out (often including her kids and husband) and healthy eating. We’re big food nerds and so we often send each other picture messages of what we’re eating. (Don’t judge me. I seriously LOVE FOOD.) The other day she sent me a picture of her lunch: a salad with bacon wrapped dates on top. I drooled a little, and then got to work making my own version. I came up with this, and now I kinda wanna eat this every day for the rest of my life.
-4 pieces of sugar free, nitrate free, pastured bacon
-2 cups spinach
-1/4 red onion, diced
-1 nectarine, diced
-1/2 tomato, diced
-1/2 jalapeño, seeded and diced
-1/2 cucumber, diced
1) Preheat your oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
2) Using a small, sharp knife, carefully slit a hole in each date and remove the pit.
3) Cut your bacon slices in half so you have 8 pieces, each a couple of inches long.
4) Tightly wind a piece of bacon around each date and secure it by piercing all the way through with a toothpick.
5) Place the bacon wrapped dates on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake in preheated oven for 20-30 minutes or until bacon is cooked to your liking.
6) Once cooked, remove from the oven and gently pat dry each bacon wrapped date. Set them aside to cool.
7) Place your spinach on a large plate or in a large bowl and throw all your vegetable toppings and nectarine on top. Add your bacon wrapped dates and enjoy!