This is based off of a recipe a friend shared with me, with just a few tweaks here and there. It’s hearty, delicious, and has exciting flavours. I love topping it with cool avocado to balance the sweet and spice of the stew.
-4-6 chorizo sausage links
-3 cups diced yams
-3 garlic cloves, crushed
-2 stalks of celery, diced
-1 large carrot, diced
-1 bunch of kale, roughly torn
-1 can of diced tomatoes
-2 tbsp tomato paste
-4 cups chicken bone broth
-1.5 tsp chili powder
-1 tbsp smoked paprika
-1 tsp regular paprika
-1.5 tsp oregano
- Remove sausage casing and crumble the sausage into a large soup pot. Fry the sausage until it is cooked through, and then remove it and set aside, but save all the juices in the pot.
- Add the onions, garlic, celery and carrots to the pot and fry for approximately three minutes.
- Add the yams, herbs and spices and stir for another three minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and diced tomatoes and stir. Then add the chicken bone broth, stir everything, and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes to let the yams soften.
- Add the chorizo sausage back into the soup, stir, and simmer for another 5-10 minutes until heated through.
- Ladle into bowl and serve with avocado if desired. This recipe makes about 6 servings.
Eat well, move your body, and have a great week!