I’m always on the hunt for quick protein fixes, especially when I get home from the gym and want to fill my belly right away. In It Starts With Food by Melissa and Dallas Hartwig, they advise to eat protein 15 minutes after a workout. I try really hard to make sure that happens and sometimes it’s difficult because I’m really not into shakes or fancy drinks. These egg muffins are perfect! You can pack them to take to the gym with you and eat cold, or pop them in the microwave for 30 seconds when you get home. There are all kinds of variations you could do with these: ground beef and salsa, bacon and veggies, ham and raw cheese, etc.
=3 chorizo sausage links
=1 tbsp coconut oil
-1 red bell pepper, diced
-half of a leek, diced
-1 small yam, diced
1) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2) Melt the coconut oil in a large pan over medium heat.
3) Remove the casing from the chorizo sausage and crumble into the pan. Fry until cooked through.
4) Add your veggies to the sausage in the pan and fry for 2-3 minutes, and then remove your sausage and veggies from the pan and let cool. (If you cook them too long they will become mushy when baking in the oven.)
5) Crack the eggs into a large bowl and whisk them until well blended.
6) Add in your sausage and veggies and mix well.
7) Pour into a lined or well greased muffin tin and bake for 20-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean and dry. This recipe yielded 15 muffins.